JONATHAN KITCHEN (cello, guitar bass, copyist) »
Orchestral bookings (since August 2010)
- BBC Concert Orchestra
- Brighton Philharmonic Orchestra
- British Philharmonic Orchestra
- City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
- Docklands Sinfonietta
- Guildford Philharmonic Orchestra
- London Philharmonic Orchestra
- Musical Associates (UK) Limited
- Philharmonia Orchestra
- Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra
- Worthing Symphony Orchestra
- English Touring Opera
- Aminta Chamber Orchestra
- Apollo Chamber Orchestra
- English Festival Orchestra
- New London Sinfonia
- Oxford Philomusica
- Symphonia Academica
- Miss Saigon
- Thursford Christmas Spectacular
The recital button is inactive
The Repertoire button is inactive.
The Review button is inactive.
The discography button is inactive.
The Outreach button is inactive.
The Teaching button is inactive.
Jonathan's recordings, above, are taken from the Camaraderie CD. Ravel Piece en forme de Habenara. Milhaud Elegie. Daniel van Goens Scherzo No.2.
Jonathan Kitchen studied the Cello with Christopher Bunting and Felix Schmidt at the Royal College of Music in London, winning five of the College's cello prizes (including the Leo Stern Award, the RCM's senior 'cello award).
Since leaving the RCM, Jonathan has worked with most of the UK's major orchestras including the London Symphony Orchestra, the Philharmonia, and the London Philharmonic (trial for no. 4).
Jonathan is Co-Principal Cello of the English Touring Opera.
The summer of 2005 saw a new departure for Jonathan. He spent three months in Cromer, Norfolk, at the Pavilion Theatre as a headline act. The Pavilion theatre is the last true end-of-the-pier variety show and not only was Jonathan required to play his cello, but sing, dance, play percussion and trumpet and join in with funny-man Barnaby's sketches.
Richard Batson (chief reporter, Cromer) wrote
"Not many shows follow a solo classical 'cello spot with an Elvis medley. But Cromer's summer show continues to prove that variety is not only the spice of life, but the key to good nights entertainment...cellist Jonathan Kitchen provides some pools of tranquility among the seaside rock...(he) added calm and class to the show"
Jonathan has released a CD entitled Camaraderie which features harpist Ruth Potter, Simon Archer on piano and the Aveley & Newham Brass Band in Jonathan's own transcription of the Elgar 'Cello concerto as well as a barn-storming "Riverdance". It's available through the shopping page of 4barsrest.com
Jonathan's concerto performances include the Dvorak 'Cello Concerto at the Aberdeen International Festival & Cheltenham Town Hall of which a critic wrote that Jonathan's performance was "... shot through with a rare sensitivity ... power and confidence to project his music to the audience.", Saint-Saens Concerto in A minor at the Birmingham Town Hall and St Giles Cripplegate and Elgar E Minor Concerto at the Prince of Wales Theatre, Cannock. He has performed the Vivaldi Double Cello concerto on numerous occasions.
In 2006 Jonathan played 'cello, bass guitar and percussion on the "Operababes Renaissance Tour" and the "Opera Babes in Concert" tour.
Jonathan plays percussion for Redbridge Brass (Championship section) & Symphonic Brass of London, and plays bass-guitar in function bands and for shows.
PROFESSIONAL WORK (recent)
- Orchestras: BBC Concert Orchestra, Brighton Philharmonic Orchestra, British Philharmonic Orchestra, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, Docklands Sinfonietta, Guildford Philharmonic Orchestra, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Musical Associates (UK) Limited, Philharmonia Orchestra, Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra, Worthing Symphony Orchestra.
- Orchestras (Opera/Ballet): English Touring Opera.
- Chamber Orchestras: Aminta Chamber Orchestra, Apollo Chamber Orchestra, English Festival Orchestra, New London Sinfonia, Oxford Philomusica, Symphonia Academica.
- Shows: Miss Saigon, Thursford Christmas Spectacular.
Jonathan's orchestral work also includes
the London Symphony Orchestra playing four concerts on a String Education Project in conjunction with the RCM. He has trialed with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, English National Opera Orchestra, BBC Concert Orchestra, and has played principal 'cello with Musical Associates, English Touring Opera and the London Classical String Orchestra.
Royal College of Music (1991- 1995, B.Mus (Hons) & Dip RCM).
Jonathan was born in Wolverhampton 1973.
Wolgarston High School, Staffordshire.
Prizes and Awards
- Staffordshire Young Musician of the Year (1991)
- Scholefield Prize for 'Cello (1992) (RCM)
- Helen Just Prize for 'Cello (1993) (RCM)
- Douglas Whittaker Prize for Chamber Music (1994) (RCM)
- Stuart Knussen Prize (RCM)
- Leo Stern Award for 'Cello (1995) (RCM)
Jean Gubbins, Christopher Bunting & Felix Schmidt.
Jonathan joined Morgensterns in June 1997
Jonathan's web profile was last updated 22nd Aug 2015