Sophia's Orchestral bookings include …
Oxford Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Orchestras (Opera/Ballet):
Royal Opera House Orchestra.
- Chamber Orchestras:
Brandenburg Sinfonia, English Festival Orchestra, New London Sinfonia.
- Chamber Groups:
- Education Work:
Royal Opera House Orchestra Education.
other items of interest …
Current Orchestral work includes
- Orchestra of the Royal Opera House (regular First Violin extra player since October 2006)
- BBC National Orchestra of Wales
- Brandenburg Sinfonia
- Britten-Pears Orchestra - Principal & Solo Second Violin and No 3 First Violin
- International Music Festival Orchestra, Aberystwyth 2004 - Leader
- London Soloists' Chamber Orchestra
- Manning Camerata
- Musical Associates (UK) Ltd
- New Mozart Orchestra
- Northern Sinfonia
- Orchestra of the Swan
- Royal Orchestral Society - Leader
- Sinfonia Verdi
- Universal Film Orchestra - Principal Second Violin
- W11 Opera for Children and Young People
- Royal College of Music Composers' Ensemble, New Perspectives Ensemble, Opera Orchestra, Symphony Orchestra including BBC Radio 3 Recording
Sophia's recording & session work includes
- Royal Opera House for BBC, EMI and 'In House'
- BBC National Orchestra of Wales
- Ocean Bloem Productions (pop)
- We Write Music Ltd.
- SCRT Music
Sophia's pop & theatre work includes
- The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, solo violin and piano at the Royal National Theatre
- The Famous Five No. 1 National Tour, solo violin, Hallmark Theatre Ltd
- Top of the Pops
- Mike Smith Orchestra - Big Band
Sophia is a busy orchestral and chamber musician who has worked regularly as a First Violin extra player with the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House since October 2006.
Recently Sophia has performed the Brahms Horn Trio in Salzburg and Norfolk and has worked with Chamber Orchestras such as the English Festival Orchestra and Sinfonia Verdi.
She has taken part in recording and session work with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales and has recorded the Brahms Horn Trio in BBC Maida Vale Studio 1 (please see photographs 2,4,5,6)
Sophia's chamber & solo work includes
- Beethoven Triple with Adrian Bradbury ('cello) and Zoe Solomon (piano) at St Botolph's Music Society, Colchester (October 2002)
- Vivaldi Concerto for Four Violins, violin soloist, International Music Festival, Aberystwyth
Solo and Chamber Music Performances:
- Brahms Horn Trio Op. 40 with Richard Bassett (horn) and Tony Sellors (piano) at Burg Wildshut near Salzburg, Austria on 16th June 2018 (photograph 7) and at Burnham Westgate Hall, Norfolk on 21st April 2018
- Wieniawski's Polonaise de concert Op. 4 with Elena Ten (piano) at Mozarteum University, Salzburg on 21st July 2015
- Ravel's Introduction and Allegro with Royal Opera House Orchestra section principals Marina Finnamore (clarinet), Lucy Wakeford (harp), Margaret Campbell (flute), Andriy Viytovych (viola), first violinist Ailsa Hunter and sub-principal Mary Mundy ('cello) at Bradfield Festival, Berkshire on 21st June 2015
- String Trio and Flute Quartet with Catherine Wilmers (cello), Emma Halnan (flute) and Joe Bronstein (viola) at Radwell Church, Hertfordshire on 7th June 2015
- Chamber Orchestra of the Royal Opera House in An Evening with Sir John Tomlinson including Siegried Idyll at Ardingly ArtsFest, Ardingly College, Sussex on 22nd June 2014
- Ballet Gala: Britten Theatre, RCM, Duo with Henry Roche (piano), 2010
- Composers' Ensemble, Aldeburgh Festival, June 2006
- Piano Trio with Oliver Davies (piano) and Oliver Gledhill ('cello) at Bignor Park, West Sussex on 22nd October 2005
- String Quartet with George Hlawiczka (violin), Claire Maynard (viola) and Oliver Gledhill ('cello) at John Murray, Publishers, 50 Albemarle Street, London in November 2005
- String Quartet: Recital venues include The British Museum and St Margaret's Church, Westminster.
- Violin and Piano recitals: St Botolph's Music Society, Colchester - 6th International Piano Festival; Gray's Inn, WC1; Epping Music Society; St Mark's Church, London NW8.
- Recital repertoire includes: Ysaye Sonata No 3 Ballade; Bloch Nigun No 2 from Baal Shem; Bach Prelude and Gavotte from Partita III; Dvorak Terzetto.
- Soprano, Violin & Piano Trios: Concert venues include Burgh House, Hampstead and London Churches.
- Workshop: Solo Violin for Opera Group supported by ROH2, Opera Genesis at the Royal Opera House, April 2007.
Magdalen College, Oxford (MA Hons) Music. Postgraduate violin studies.
South Hampstead High School GPDST and at the Royal Academy of Music where she was a Junior Exhibitioner.
Prizes and Awards
Diploma from Mozarteum University International Summer Academy, Salzburg: Masterclass Course with Igor Petrushevski, July 2015
Prizewinner in 1994 International Chamber Music Festival in Entrecasteaux.
Igor Petrushevski and Howard Davis: postgraduate studies; Emanuel Hurwitz; Michael Bochmann.
Igor Petrushevski (2018 Malta International Music Festival and 2015 Mozarteum International Summer Academy, Salzburg)
Szymanowski String Quartet: Chamber Music coaching (2004 International Music Festival, Aberystwyth)
Ruggiero Ricci (1995 Dartington International Summer School)
Yossi Zivoni (1994 International Chamber Music Festival, Entrecasteaux)
Sophia joined Morgensterns in November 1997
Sophia's web profile was last updated 28th Mar 2019